Multi Hand Blackjack
Multi-Hand Blackjack is one of the most popular blackjack variations. This blackjack game is played with five decks of cards. What makes it unique is that players can, and are encouraged, to play up to five hands at once.
Like all blackjack games, the game of Multi-Hand Blackjack is a gambling card game that is played against a dealer. The player's objective is to obtain a hand that is worth a higher value than the dealer's hand, without breaking a total of 21.
For the most part, standard blackjack rules apply in Multi-Hand Blackjack. Each player places a bet and is then dealt two cards. Based on these cards and the up-card of the dealer, players must decide to stand, hit, double down or take insurance. If a player beats the dealer then they are paid; if a player loses then they must surrender their bet.
Though standard blackjack rules are mostly adhered to in Multi-Hand Blackjack, there are several differences and specifics that are important to point out. Multi-Hand Blackjack rule specifics are as follows:
- Five decks are used to play Multi-Hand Blackjack
- The dealer must always stand on a hand that totals 17 or more-it doesn't matter if it is "soft 17" or "hard 17"
- Players may double down on 9, 10 or 11 only-there is no doubling on a hand totaling a value of 8 or less
- There is no doubling or re-splitting after a player has split his or her hand
- There is no surrendering
- Players may draw to split aces
- The dealer does not check their hole card for blackjack until the end of the hand. This is known as a full no peek rule.
- Insurance is resolved at the end of the hand and players lose their full initial bet against a dealer blackjack
- A single player may play up to five hands at once
Once you familiarize yourself with the basic rule differences between standard and Multi-Hand Blackjack your next step should be familiarizing yourself with Multi-Hand game strategy. The chart below illustrates the basic odds strategy for No Peek Multi-Hand Blackjack.
When you play Multi-Hand Blackjack, understanding odds and strategy like the back of your hand is very important. This is because if you are playing multiple hands at once you will have to think fast on your feet as you decide how to play up to five separate hands at once. Many Multi-Hand Blackjack players like to use different strategies on different hands-a player may play one hand aggressively while being cautious with a different hand. This is a good way to even out your odds. It is also important to remember that you don't have to play all five hands, so only take on what you can handle. When you do, you'll find that Multi-Hand Blackjack is one of the most exciting blackjack variations.